Youth Pastor, Malvern Methodist Church and Youth Unlimited (Toronto YFC)
POSITION: Youth Pastor in partnership with Youth Unlimited POSITION PURPOSE: To develop and lead the youth ministry of Malvern Methodist Church - its vision, mission, purpose and strategies to be consistent with the overall mission, vision and core values of Malvern Methodist Church, and a community focused youth outreach ministry with Youth Unlimited. About Youth Unlimited (Toronto YFC) Youth Unlimited is a grassroots, faith-based agency that has served youth from all walks of life, including those who are vulnerable to poverty, homelessness, unemployment, violence and gang-involvement, for over 70 years.
We have 70 staff, more than 700 volunteers, and over 30 programs impacting around 1,500 young people on a weekly basis. YU envisions that young people in the GTA will be transformed by God's love and life-changing power and will be a redemptive presence in this city, our nation, and beyond. What beats deeply within our hearts is the desire to help these youth attain their full life potential, showing love and care for their whole person, and encouraging them to serve God as fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. DOXA is a ministry of YU that focuses on Scarborough youth, pursuing kingdom partnerships with local churches in which we call young people to centre their lives within the mission and message of Jesus Christ. We do this through three strategic focuses: monthly gatherings, local/global journeys and through equipping youth and youth leaders to become life long disciple makers. SUPERVISION: As a Youth Unlimited employee, the Youth Pastor reports to Malvern Methodist’s Lead Pastor and is supervised by the designated Youth Unlimited Supervisor.
I. Youth Ministry at Malvern Methodist Church Focus on ministry with the junior high and high school aged youth, while providing additional support as needed in the children’s and young adult ministries. Provide guidance and oversight to the spiritual growth and development of the youth and families in the ministry. (approximately 15 hrs/wk)
- Provide opportunities for youth discipleship, mentoring, and coaching by maintaining administrative and personal contact with students and their families (i.e. home visits, lunch, school visits, sporting events)
- Play an active role in the Youth Sunday School programming and delivery by teaching and offering general support to the other teachers.
- Develop and implement a weekly age appropriate gathering for youth that promotes community through fellowship, fun and faith development.
- Oversee the recruitment and training of adult volunteers to work within Youth Ministry.
- Nurture parental support through clear communication, active parental involvement in the youth program and seminars for parents
- Develop active involvement of youth ministry in all aspects of YU’s DOXA.
- Provide leadership to current and future church outreach programs, partnership programs and camps (e.g. March Break/Summer Camp).
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
II. Community Outreach with Youth Unlimited Find and execute effective methods to connect with and activate youth in the community and maintain active involvement in DOXA (approximately 14 hrs/wk)
- Develop and implement community outreach program for youth in Malvern community
- Develop teens in partnership with DOXA ministries/programs: monthly gatherings, local/global mission experiences, equipping opportunities.
- Participate in the DOXA network monthly meetings, ELEVATION retreat, PREMIX and REMIX
III. Personal Development and Stewardship Create a healthy environment for spiritual growth and a strong base for ministry and finances (approximately 6 hours/week)
- Gather personal support team for prayer and financial support
- Participate as a member of DOXA Team • Participate in YU staff meetings, training and supervision • Pursue prayer and spiritual formation
EXPECTATIONS: The Youth Pastor will:
- Share the mission and vision of Malvern Methodist and YU.
- Agree and endorse the DOXA Philosophy of Ministry: 4 Chair Discipleship.
- Grow Malvern Methodist youth ministry in meaningful ways.
- Answer to the leadership of the Lead Pastor/Board, remaining accountable and responsive to their oversight of the Youth Pastor’s ministry.
- Attend worship services and staff meetings on a weekly basis.
- Participate in a yearly job performance review.
- Present a yearly youth budget proposal.
- Stay current with youth ministry practices by reading, attending youth leadership conferences, seminars etc.
- Note: Ability to play a musical instrument, and experience in preaching and change management will be considered strong assets
- Spiritual maturity and growth in the lives of the teens and the group.
- Empowered adults/teenagers who then equip and create disciple makers.
- Implementation of 4 Chair Discipleship (DOXA Philosophy of Ministry) and YU 5 Gauges of ministry assessment.
- A standard based, systematic approach to and execution of the youth ministry that extends beyond the Youth Pastor.
- An integrated youth ministry into all phases of church life that creates a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
PAY STRUCTURE: The salary will be set according to the candidate’s experience and education set forth by the YU personnel department (HR). In this partnership Malvern Methodist will cover approximately 40-50% of the set salary. As a faith-based Christian ministry, the successful candidate is required to raise the rest of his/her salary. YU will provide guidance and expertise to help through this process.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Youth Unlimited: youthunlimitedgta.ca DOXA Toronto: facebook.com/doxatoronto/ Malvern Methodist Church: fmcic.ca/congregations/malvern-methodist-church/
TO APPLY: Please submit a resumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Your resumé should note (1) your employment experience; (2) your ministry experience, whether volunteer or paid; and (3) any relevant certification. Should you have any further questions, please contact Elim at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (416) 383-1477.
Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. Thank you!