About Stepping Stones
Stepping Stones is a program of Youth Unlimited (TYFC) in its second season, located in Brampton-Caledon ON but servicing properties in the surrounding areas. We desire to equip youth for success, see them build a sustainable livelihood and create a network of support and resources. To do so, we hire youth ages 16-25 with employment barriers, training them not only in the landscaping trade but also helping them to gain general employability and life skills. Through caring, mentoring relationships, youth will be encouraged to discover their gifts, intrinsic value, and purpose. By the end of a season or two with us, we help our “graduates” find permanent, meaningful jobs earning living wages through partnering employers. Most importantly we hope to see wholistic spiritual transformation in them.
About Youth Unlimited (Toronto YFC)
For over 70 years, Youth Unlimited (Toronto YFC) has been passionate about seeing young people attain their full-life potential. YU has more than 65 programs and initiatives, 70 staff and 400 volunteers primarily serving community youth ages 10 to 25 in the Greater Toronto Area.
Today, we are working in neighbourhoods all over the Greater Toronto Area with youth coming from diverse backgrounds and facing unique challenges. Our hope is that by cultivating relationships with caring adults who will mentor and cheer them on, they will be able to bring about positive change to our city - both now and in the future.
Specific Responsibilities of the Lead Hand will include:
- Assist in providing training, mentoring, support and leadership to the landscape trainees, under the guidance of the Supervisor.
- Provide spiritual mentoring, teaching and whole person care and development of trainees
- Assist managing work procedures and schedules for two to four people.
- Provide great customer service to our clients and find ways to improve our service.
- Drive a truck and trailer, ensuring policies and procedures are followed for safety and regular maintenance
- Assist in teaching the landscape trainees landscape maintenance and landscape construction techniques
- Promote Stepping Stones core values
The Successful Candidate will possess:
- A vibrant Christian faith and a desire to see young people reach their full life potential
- One to three years of experience in mentoring and ministering to youth and young adults either as a volunteer or paid-staff
- Class G Driver’s License with a clean record
- Experience with landscaping or grounds-keeping a definite asset
- Level 1 First Aid – not mandatory but preferred
- College/University diploma or equivalent in youth ministry or related field (e.g. social work, education, etc.)
- Honest, trustworthy and positive attitude
- Able to withstand various working weather conditions
- Able for physical, manual work
The salary of this staff position is determined on a scale based on education and experience and is funded in part on a missionary basis—requiring the gathering of a personal encouragement group and team fundraising.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Elim in HR firstname.lastname@example.org .Your cover letter should include a description of: (1) How you would integrate your faith with this role, (2) Your perspective on ministry through social enterprise, and (3) Your past ministry and trades experience. (Each of these responses should be approximately 150 words in length.)
Please note that only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. Thank you!